Sunday 19 October 2014

The Unforgettable Bukit Kutu Expedition

Resting half-way at the side
of the Bukit Kutu mountain.
Yup, it was a mad crazy decision that I've made. A spur of the moment kind of thing. I participated in an expedition organized by PSSCPUHM (Persatuan Seni Silat Cekak Pusaka Ustaz Hanafi Malaysia, a society dedicated to the teachings of a traditional Malay martial art) of INTEC (International Education College) - climbing Bukit Kutu (bukit means hill, so translated as Kutu Hill). I sometimes do hike, and have even climbed Mount Kinabalu, the highest mountain in Southeast Asia. But to do so with little preparation and literally no heavy hiking nor training for months beforehand? And since Bukit Kutu is more than 1000 MASL (Metres Above Sea Level), it is technically a mountain and not a hill - climbing a mountain during raining season in the tropics and without being fit? That ultimately spelt for a personal disaster.

In mountain climbing, experience counts little as compared to endurance. Due to circumstances, I did not get some sleep at all before the 4am climb. The trail was extremely muddy and slippery, and I slipped several times despite wearing a good pair of Adidas Kampung (an extremely cheap pair of shoes 100% made of rubber for waterproofness as well as grip, usually used by climbers in the tropical climate). What made the trail more difficult is the huge number of bamboo trees which fell on the trail, and we had to go sometimes on all fours just to get by the thorn-laced bamboos. As I expected, without having a good physique, I was the last person in the expedition.

Looking up from half-way
up the Bukit Kutu mountain.
Anyway, that did not mean I cowered in front of the mountain. With severe leg cramps, cuts, bruises and extreme tiredness, I dragged on in the darkness up the mountain. I smiled when recalling what my mom had said to me several years ago when I phoned her from Laban Rata, half-way up Mount Kinabalu: "Kenapa cari penyakit dengan panjat gunung?" (translated as: "Why are you looking for trouble by climbing up a mountain?). There was no moon nor stars to shine the trail at Bukit Kutu that night, only the narrow beams of my small headlamp and one or two person's lamps several meters in front of me which illuminated the blackness. Because with God's permission, I can do it, Mom. With His permission, I can.

Some of the team members on
top of Bukit Kutu mountain.
After 6 grueling hours covered in mud, sweat and blood, I, the rearmost person in the expedition, at last reached the summit of Bukit Kutu mountain. In the end, with God's consent, I conquered my own inner self, and made it to the top!

Many thanks to my friends who organised, participated and helped my struggle during the expedition, namely Ting, Siddiq, Nik, Haziq, Adnan, Stan, Shamsul, Arep, and the rest of the team.

Resting half-way up the mountain. I could not capture a
lot of photos due to bad weather and my phone not being
waterproof. And of course, being too tired to do so.
Resting. What a relief.
We had to climb some set of stairs to get to the top
of the boulders at the summit of Bukit Kutu.
View from the top of boulders at the summit.
Hashtags: #backpacking #bukitkutu #cyborg #hiking #kutu #letih #saibog #sangatletih #supertired #tired #trekking

No comments:

Post a Comment