Thursday 6 November 2014

Bringing In The Broken Beast

The black and white motorbike
with the broken handle post. The
motorbike's head is not aligned
with the front wheel.
Found in the parking lot, with a broken neck. Whoever did it may initially attempted a "kidnap", and after failing humiliatingly, vent their frustration by breaking the neck. What kind of weirdo wants to steal a low-classed motorbike such as a Modenas CT110 anyway (thus the humiliation) where there are much pricier Hondas and Yamahas around?

With the handle post broken, I could not readily push it to the nearest motorbike shop for repairs. Calling for a lorry service would also be quite expensive. I also had a red Modenas Kriss motorbike which I fixed and then used as a temporary replacement. So the black and white beast was left there in the damp parking lot, day after day after day, quietly waiting for it's time. More of a gamble actually, since leaving the motorbike for long periods of time would entice thieves to steal parts such as the wheels.

The red motorbike being fixed as a temporary
replacement forthe black and white motorbike.
43 days later, the window of opportunity came. I drove my car from home at 10pm with the aim when reaching the motorbike around 11pm parked at Wisma Cosway, the 10pm traffic exiting the Kuala Lumpur city would have subsided. All was according to plan. However, I did not anticipate how difficult it was to push the motorbike with a broken handle post. The motorbike had to be leaned on my right thigh and pushed along with one hand on the motorbike's head while the other hand holding the back seat handle to stabilize the motorbike. Although the journey was 2.4 km, with the motorbike weighing 100kg, it was no easy feat.

The 2.4 km journey from Wisma
Cosway to the nearest motorbike
workshop which I know.
Stopping roughly every 10 minutes totally soaked in sweat, I attracted several passerby motorists who stopped to ask and even offer assistance to push my damaged vehicle using their own motorbike via their feet. But without being able to balance the busted motorbike due to the shattered handle post, I had no choice but to politely decline all their offers. To make matters worse, 2 over friendly motorbikers offered assistance by making a sudden move blocking my path during a downhill decent; forcing me to adruptly stop and resulted in the my motorbike's neck being ripped wide open. Sheesh. So I had to improvise using my wheel lock bar to steer the motorbike's front wheel. However, within 100m of my destination, I got a surprise help from a couple who insisted they helped me; so together we pushed the broken white and black beast in the final leg of the journey.

The black and white motorbike with the neck
ripped wide open.
At 12:30am, an hour and a half later from starting the journey, I at last reached my destination - a small motorbike workshop on an island surrounded by roads. After parking the motorbike infront of the shop, I walked the 2.4 km jouney back to the car parked at Wisma Cosway. The next morning, I had a mechanic take a look at the damaged motorbike, and the motorbike was completely repaired a day later.

The ripped neck, up close.
Hmm. Thinking back, ever since I bought the black and white motorbike 3 years ago, it was often in need of major repairs. Yes, the Modenas brand is somewhat cheap, and they even lied about the fuel tank capacity of this particular product on their website (stating it has a 5.2L fuel capacity - the main reason why I bought the motorbike, and later found out to great dismay, it was only 4.0L). But the my red motorbike of the same brand but older model, has only seen the workshop less then 10 times for minor repairs and only twice for major repairs in its entire currently 15 years of service. An obvious sign of the diminishing quality of products from Modenas. That being said, the black and white motorbike will be the last product I buy from them.

Hmm. Since my black and white motorbike and I are somehow tak serasi (translated as not harmonious), I plan to sell it in the near future and maybe use the money gained to buy a Brompton bicycle. Well, I already have the red motorbike, right? :D

Hashtags: #ct110 #cyborg #broken #kriss #modenas #modenasct110 #modenaskriss #motorbike #motorcycle #saibog

No comments:

Post a Comment