Thursday 20 November 2014

The Gift To Pierce The Darkness

The Fenix HL-30 headlamp.
A wonderful gift of light by him it was. In the wee hours before midnight, he suddenly phoned, asking if he and his family could come over to our house deep in the woods since he was bored. Well, why the heck not. After all, he is my only sibling brother. On his arrival, he gave me a small trinket. His hobby as a collector convinced him a replacement for it, and his old one needed a new owner. We had about an hour's chat before he left.

Currently all the headlamps I ever owned. The 2
headlamps from the right cost just MYR $20 each.
However, both have now deteriorated to the point
of being unreliable after serving me for many
years, even in sub-zero temperatures on top of
Mount Kinabalu, one of the highest peaks in South
East Asia. The 2nd from the left is my MYR $10
headlamp, earliest used in a recent expedition at
Bukit Kutu. And the leftmost is the newest member
of the group, the Fenix HL-30.
The trinket that he gave me was a small marvel, a slightly battered but fully working Fenix HL-30. A high quality 100-200 lumens headlamp costing MYR $130, compared to mine MYR $10. From the photos below, the difference between a budget headlamp and a professional one is just staggering. Plus the fact that a friend had previously mentioned my budget headlamp shone brighter then most of my friends' headlamps (from my previous hike at Bukit Kutu here), simply left me dumbfounded.

I needed 2 headlamps (from the 2, 1 is for backup) for cycling and hiking, and his gift fulfilled my requirement perfectly. Thank you, Bro!
The light from my MYR $10 headlamp.
The light from the Fenix HL-30 headlamp. Whoa!
Hashtags: #cyborg #fenix #fenixhl30 #headlamp #headlight #saibog

No comments:

Post a Comment